Speed Sudoku

Speed Sudoku - Play web sudoku puzzle games online for free!

Ready to play fast-paced sudoku races online? Create an account & start playing!

Race Game limits

The official source of Speed Sudoku news
Forum rules
Please read the forum guidelines before posting.

Race Game limits

Postby sudoking on Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:38 pm

Hi everyone,

I want to invest more time and money into developing Speed Sudoku, but now that we've been around for 3 months it's pretty clear that almost nobody is buying Premium Membership. Quite frankly we need your support - because the server, staff and other maintenance costs are coming out of my pocket!

So here is the bad news... starting August 23 we are going to limit Free members to 1 Race Game per 12 hours. Practice Games will continue to be unlimited and you will always be allowed to play your daily Race Game(s) for free. You have one month notice so please enjoy the free-for-all while it lasts :P

There is some good news, too... around the same time we will begin launching cool features like achievement medals, new game options and other website improvements.

With love,
Your webmaster
Novice sudoking
Webmaster

Re: Race Game limits

Postby leilabr on Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:36 pm

I'm not sure it's a bad new. Finally I'll have a good reason to play fewer games, this site is too adicting. I really need to study more and play less. :P
Beginner leilabr

Postby den_zel on Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:52 am

may you reduced the payment for be premium members please? I don't think 25 dollars is cheap for a year..you may make some discount for limited time or for some people... hope can be only 10 dollars only..or at least 15 dollars.... ;)
Grand Guru den_zel

Medals: 10
Easy Puzzle Medal (3) Medium Puzzle Medal (3) Hard Puzzle Medal (2) Very Hard Puzzle Medal (2)

Postby wcaclimbing on Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:41 pm

This disappoints me.
Join the first mafia game on SpeedSudoku!
Click here: http://www.speedsudoku.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=213&t=174

Support the "First 5's and Top 5's Scoreboard"
Click here: http://www.speedsudoku.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=186
Beginner wcaclimbing

Medals: 4
Easy Puzzle Medal (2) Medium Puzzle Medal (1) Hard Puzzle Medal (1)

Postby calgary on Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:55 pm

Guess I should sign up then. Been meaning to for a while but too busy gaming.

PS shouldn't this be a 'headline'?
Grand Master calgary

Medals: 12
Easy Puzzle Medal (3) Medium Puzzle Medal (3) Hard Puzzle Medal (3) Very Hard Puzzle Medal (3)

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:29 pm

Just a suggestion, it'd probably be good to find someone willing to translate this message into other languages.
This is a pretty major change, and if english isn't a person's first language, they might not understand what is happening and be terribly confused when the new limits start.
Join the first mafia game on SpeedSudoku!
Click here: http://www.speedsudoku.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=213&t=174

Support the "First 5's and Top 5's Scoreboard"
Click here: http://www.speedsudoku.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=186
Beginner wcaclimbing

Medals: 4
Easy Puzzle Medal (2) Medium Puzzle Medal (1) Hard Puzzle Medal (1)

Postby Sylvia Pan on Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:01 am

$25 USD is a bit expensive..... I am willing to pay $10-$15 USD/year.
If you need someone to translate anything to Chinese, I am happy to help.
Novice Sylvia Pan

Postby kristakz on Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:35 am

Maybe you should offer multiple levels of membership. $10 for "unlimited play", $25 for additional features (unlimited accounts, and whatever new fancy stuff you mentioned that are bringing out in August). Seems there are a number of people who think $25 is too much.
Grand Master kristakz

Postby leilabr on Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:21 am

If people has to pay in order to play unlimited race games, you might drive people out of the site. When I registered there were 8 pages in the score board, now there are 7 pages. This means the number of people who played suduko recently has not increased. I think you should not have expected to make this website profitable in only three months.

One suggestion is to let people play for more race games, and add more features to the premium membership. Another point you should take into account: most players will be able to play only once every 12 hours, with whom the premium members will race with? You may let free accounts join unlimited race games created by premium members.

Another point is about the new users. Please, give them a free period, say one month. First hook them, then charge.

Please create some buttons tha would fit in the side bar of blogs. I have just started one (http://www.desenvolvendosoftware.com.br/) and the referral banners would not fit well. Thanks.
Beginner leilabr

Postby vulcan on Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:42 pm

hi,
£15 sterling for a years soduko is not a bad bargain; it relates to 30p a week, or 4 pence a day (give or take a little bit) although I would have thought with the number of hits you must be getting, advertising might cough a little something- but not pig flu!
However, you have to get some bugs or slowness out of the system, still. I finished a race today about 5 seconds before the next player. I had to wait 20 seconds whilst the little 'loading' icon circulated round and round, with that damned box appearing twice telling me 'communication with server has expired - do I want another 10 seconds?' As a result of this hiccup, I was relegated to second place.
One advantage of charging ,however, is that it might stop the many experts and above who only ever play easy races. Especially if you could find some way of linking the scoring with the difficulty rating.
I am at the moment undecided as to whether to stay with you or not after the 23rd, but I think you will find that, even if everyone stays with you on the free game account, the number of race games played will probably decrease by a factor of 10, and the subsequent wait for an opponent to appear will dampen people's enthusiasm somewhat.
I also think you will find players will not be so willing to play against a more experienced player if they only get one chance every 12 hours. After all, at the moment, if you you chance your luck against a higher grade then you are and lose, you always have the chance to get the points back by playing down a grade next game.
Is it going to be accumative? I often go to a location for a few days where there is no tv, telephone, internet or e-mails - (Oh Bliss) so if i am absent from the 'board' for (say) 3 days, would I get a 6 game credit?
Beginner vulcan

Medals: 6
Easy Puzzle Medal (2) Medium Puzzle Medal (2) Hard Puzzle Medal (1) Very Hard Puzzle Medal (1)

Postby Caedda on Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:57 pm

vulcan wrote:However, you have to get some bugs or slowness out of the system, still. I finished a race today about 5 seconds before the next player. I had to wait 20 seconds whilst the little 'loading' icon circulated round and round, with that damned box appearing twice telling me 'communication with server has expired - do I want another 10 seconds?' As a result of this hiccup, I was relegated to second place.

I really do think a lot of this has to do with individual internet connections and browser/computer speeds. There could also be some issues with people who are far from the servers, but I'm no expert.

One advantage of charging ,however, is that it might stop the many experts and above who only ever play easy races. Especially if you could find some way of linking the scoring with the difficulty rating.

Yeah, I'm hoping for the same thing. People who do well shouldn't be afraid to solve the tougher puzzles.

I am at the moment undecided as to whether to stay with you or not after the 23rd, but I think you will find that, even if everyone stays with you on the free game account, the number of race games played will probably decrease by a factor of 10, and the subsequent wait for an opponent to appear will dampen people's enthusiasm somewhat.

There are already plans in the works to increase the site membership in conjunction with the new limitations.

Is it going to be accumative? I often go to a location for a few days where there is no tv, telephone, internet or e-mails - (Oh Bliss) so if i am absent from the 'board' for (say) 3 days, would I get a 6 game credit?

Nope, the unlimited games will be for each person to use as often or as little as they choose. There's no way to fairly and honestly give any sort of grace periods like that.

leilabr wrote:If people has to pay in order to play unlimited race games, you might drive people out of the site. When I registered there were 8 pages in the score board, now there are 7 pages. This means the number of people who played suduko recently has not increased. I think you should not have expected to make this website profitable in only three months.

Part of that has to do with some drawbacks in off-site advertising, so it wasn't unexpected.

Sylvia Pan wrote:$25 USD is a bit expensive..... I am willing to pay $10-$15 USD/year.

But what about those people who have already paid the more expensive price?

If you need someone to translate anything to Chinese, I am happy to help.

This goes for anybody: If you wish to accurately translate the original post into a different language, please do so. If there are several, I'll link to them from the first post.
If you have any questions or issues, feel free to send me a PM.

Grand Master Caedda

Postby strmckr on Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:15 am

i have suggested ways to fix the scoring system seen in the suggestions threads.

pros spend endless hours playing easy puzzles to keep there data processing optimized its not that they cannot complete harder puzzles,

easy,medium:

are the standard type of puzzles found in the international competitions they attend in person, {why practices skills not needed?}.

if you want to avoid them move into harder categories ie. hard / very hard there more of a challenge for the fun player.

a large number of the international players play on many different sites that offer similar/same things and are free, its not going to cost them anything to keep playing.

you do have to realize that a lot of the people that play this game are here to practice for the next competition forcing them away will drop the game played count exponentially.

thus your left with a handful of people that like to play for fun, and very few will pay for puzzles or the options of playing with others when there is other sites that have free accounts with no limits.

free puzzles are easy to find and make on your own with any of the available software online.

to me making it a pay site will delve this site under, there is not a lot of money directly in this game from a consumer at home with a computer and access to options of free.

books etc sell for many good reason a lot of them are because you are not near a computer!

is there no way to find a free serving host?

add in more advertisement to help with costs?

volunteer moderators?
Grand Guru strmckr

Postby strmckr on Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:42 pm

notes: there is 13776 members.

how many of them are spam bots?

for every one that registers they create multiple back up accounts 6+
check the birthdays congratulation sections there is b-days with the same name with 3/4 different letters at the end.

how many are active members? 1635 (based on score board)

11% of the total members that are real players.

7 active members are paid. 0.4 % of active members. (didn't double check this number)
Grand Guru strmckr

Postby vulcan on Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:57 am

strmckr said

"pros spend endless hours playing easy puzzles to keep there data processing optimized its not that they cannot complete harder puzzles,

easy,medium:

are the standard type of puzzles found in the international competitions they attend in person, why practices skills not needed?

if you want to avoid them move into harder categories ie. hard / very hard there more of a challenge for the fun player. "

Hi, I agree with what strmckr is saying. However, the present scoring system favours those whose prime, if not only, concern is to 'keep the mind active and agile' a policy I cannot, and would not want, to deny.
But, in the time it takes me to complete a hard race for hopefully a few points, an 'easy expert' can rattle up several games and therefore get more points.
Climbing up the score ladder is not my prime intention, I am more interested in beating my previous best time, but it is a tad galling to see fellow competitors in the top section of the table by only competing in the easy races.
If a way could be found to factor in the difficulty rating of a race into the current scoring system, it would make the ladder more representative of true ability.
Beginner vulcan

Medals: 6
Easy Puzzle Medal (2) Medium Puzzle Medal (2) Hard Puzzle Medal (1) Very Hard Puzzle Medal (1)

Postby strmckr on Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:54 pm

vulcan...

i have several posts regarding the scores:

the more people agree with it perhaps they will switch to it.

with the upcoming changes why not wipe the board and restart everyone off.

save the score board as archived etc.

this would correct the ladder and represent skill and whom you have played coupled with level of difficulty played over how many games you played.

viewtopic.php?p=787#p787

and a toy to see how it works:

http://strmckr.fileave.com/formula%20sheet.xls
Grand Guru strmckr

Next

Return to Announcements